Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Valentine's Day 1997

I was thinking recently about Valentine's Day 1997.
I had been doing my laundry and had rediscovered how fun socks could be as they came out of the dryer. I had socks, loaded with static, clinging everywhere on my clothes. I was "wearing" about eight pair when I wondered to myself, " How would I explain this if anyone was to come in?"
I soon had my chance.
I had just placed two socks above my heart like medals from a long ago war when an arthritic gentleman tottered in with his basket of clothes. His eyes got large and round when he saw me.
"Happy Valentine's Day", I said as I smiled and helped him put his basket up on the counter.
He winced, just a little, when our eyes met across the soiled clothes.
We talked as he sorted his clothes into washers. I mostly listened and unobtrusively removed my sock medals and folded my clothes.
Sitting there on plastic chairs, we learned that we were both newly alone.....I, after just 3 years of marriage and a divorce.... he, after nearly fifty years of marriage to Ruth. I had regrets. He had none.
"You must have loved her a great deal", I said.
"Loved her? The word is too small. I count her among the best of what life has given me", he said.
He sat still then, staring straight ahead.
His eyes filled with anguish. For an instant they had the milky look of the eyes of a drowned man.
He bowed his head. Held his face in his hands and longed for days gone by.


[ made this up...except for the part about the socks and it being Valentine's Day 1997]

3 comments:

  1. Well, Richard..you are a pretty good writer. You had me believing it, so it's a good thing you said that you made it up. :)

    Did you ever get your email thing straightened out? I don't understand why you can't receive, or send mail via your gmail account.

    Have you checked your spam folder? I sent a couple of emails awhile back, just to see if you'd receive them, but I guess you didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan...about the email, apparently not. Spam folder, yes, I can see what's there from my Gmail screen.
    No, I haven't rec'd an email from you. Send me yours via this comment area, and let's see how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richard..it is on my blog, but here it is Inexorabletide@aol.com :)

    ReplyDelete